You are seeing some problems with your teeth and mouth but aren’t sure if you need to see a general dentist or a specialist. While general dentists deal will general, minor issues, Orthodontists will help fix major issues. To ensure that you are seeing the right specialist for your oral care, check out the following warning signs to determine if you need to see an orthodontist in Northridge, rather than a dentist.
- Gaps: If there are large spaces between your teeth, this should be seen by a specialist. There should not be any large gaps, only minor spaces that are normal between one tooth and another.
- Jaw Problems: This can range from a disorder in the joint in the jaw or just awkward jaw positioning. The jaw can also be improperly aligned to the rest of the face. Such issues will require non-surgical procedures to realign the jaw back into place.
- Bad bites: This is more commonly known in two forms—over bite and under bite. Both involve a problem in alignment with the upper and lower teeth.
- Crowding: Unlike gaps, crowding means that there isn’t enough space in the mouth and teeth. As a result, the teeth will be crooked and worsen over time—to a point where proper teeth cleaning will be more and more complicated.
- Irregular loss of teeth: This could occur in children, as their teeth could come out early or late. In adults, if there were a loss of teeth, it would be appropriate to seek out an orthodontist immediately. They will figure out the reason for the unusual loss of teeth and provide you with options to fill the gap.
- Extra teeth: You could also have extra teeth in your mouth. Too many, however, can cause overcrowding—which can be a major issue. This could lead to problems with the jaw as well.
These problems can worsen if they are not treated by a specialist. They can sometimes lead to issues that do not revolve around the mouth and teeth. Medical research correlates a relationship between the health of the jaw and body posture. Clearly, one issue can lead to a domino effect that could eventually lead to surgery.
Your oral health should be just as important to you as the health of the rest of your body. This list should guide you in the right direction as to whether or not you should see a specialist. If you or your child is suffering from such symptoms, see an orthodontist in Northridge immediately.
Be the first to like.